19 May 2010

FIRE

Really, an honest to God fire in my oven.  Had to use the fire extinguisher to put it out.

I have not been feeling great all day...got a number of things done and thought I would make the effort to make a nice dinner.  I will not tell you what it was yet, because I think it will be super yummy once I put it in the right size pan.

I am not sure if it was my fault or my husbands.  I have not cooked in a long time (several weeks).  My husband has been doing all the cooking for me.  So, I realized the my dish was leaking and dropping on the bottom of the oven.  I put a cookie sheet under it to catch the droppings.  The next thing I knew, the oven was smoking.  I opened the oven to look and their were flames.  I got the kids to go out of the house and panicked.  I stood next to the oven and wondered where the fire extinguisher was.  We have moved it several times as my husband was cooking things that could catch on fire.  Lucky for me, we actually put it back where it belonged (does not happen here often).  I used the whole can and got the fire out.

I went outside to check on the kids and they were fine.  Max was rather upset and crying.  He looked at me and said, "I have never been in a fire before."  I looked at him and said, "Me either."  Then we went on to have a conversation about how good they were in listening and getting out of the house and to the meeting point.  He was still a little freaked out.

Matt came home and got them.  The smell in the house from the powder in the fire extinguisher was horrible and I did not want them to be breathing it in, especially Ben with his asthma.  I hope they are going to find something good for dinner.

I went back into the kitchen and realized that the white powder actually covered everything in the kitchen.  This is the only time I do not like my open floor plan.  The whole house is covered in this thin layer of white powder.  It is going to take me days to get it all cleaned up.  Darn.

I decided to look at the dinner.  It was covered in the oven.  I looked at it and it really looked fine and smelled wonderful.  When I took the cover off, the cover was covered in the powder.  But, inside the dish.  It looked great.  I carefully put the chicken a container and put it in the frig.  I cannot decide if I want to eat it or not.  It was covered and there was no powder or smell from the powder.  So, I am not sure what I am going to do about it.

Now, I face the question of how to clean up the mess in the oven.  Thinking about it, the oven caught fire because whatever is on the bottom of the oven caught fire, so I am pretty sure that I cannot use the self cleaner.  Guess it will be easy off oven cleaner and elbow grease for me.  I am really scared to use the oven again later.  Will the stench be back if I use it?  Will there be residual fire extinguisher powder?  What a place to be in.  I even went on line and cannot really find much about how to clean up after.



I just cannot seem to win.  I really did wanted to do a nice thing for my family, but it seems I am damned if I do and damned if I don't.

GRUMP!

No comments:

Post a Comment